This does not seem to be working (after a long time loading an error message comes up)...I think this has been a problem for ages...
Yes, I've been getting the same error message for several weeks now. Would be good if it could be fixed?
We'll look into the issue with this page, that has not had much attention for a very long time. We'll keep you posted on when it will be updated.
Well half of it has been fixed. There is now a league table for number of records. What I really want is the one for number of species. This is actually very useful as it gives you a figure for how many different species of all taxa you have ever seen (and recorded). So I am hoping that will be restored. Otherwise it seems that irecord is slowly losing functionality.
We'll add this column to the table in due course.
In the meantime, if you want to know the number of spcecies you have recorded, you can access this from the 'Explore - my records' page. There is a tab showing all the species you have recorded (with number of records and first, last date recorded) - the number of rows in this table is the number of species you have recorded overall. This report also shows other summaries, i.e. species recorded by taxon group
As it was a simple addition, we've added a number of species column. Further enhancements at some point should include filtering, paging, a position column, highlighting the current user and sorting by clicked on column title.
I think people want to know where they rank compared to others in terms of species. Petty and silly, of course, but that's what I want to know :D Still, people competing to provide more data can't be all bad...
Assume it's a work in progress but it's obviously still not working properly. The ordering of numbers is wrong! Also missing recorders?
I agree that it's not the point of irecord at all, but I have to confess that I did quite like having a look to see how my records compared with other people's for numbers of records and species. Now it only shows the first page, it's of much less interest (and the sort headings don't seem to put things in order anyway). Admittedly, it does save processing time if people aren't looking themselves up all the time, so maybe that's a good thing, but it did encourage me to try to widen the range of species I had recorded. The time and effort is probably more productively spent on other aspects than this though.
I have reported the fault with the number ordering (you have to email irecord as they don't act on faults reported here) so hopefully it will be fixed soon...